Waterbox 220.6 Dream Build

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Pics are wildly out of date.

But while I work on updating them, a question for the group.

This is my first time owning a hippo tang. The hippo has been in the tank for about a year now - I don’t remember the introduction date off the top of my head. She (dory, of course - thanks kids) came from Neptune where she’d been for a couple of months. In this whole time, she doesn’t seem to have grown. Her lack of growth is especially obvious when compared to other hippos I see on a regular basis (namely, my mom’s younger-to-her hippo and the one in the Quest school main office).

Other tangs in this tank include a yellow, a sailfin, and a whitetail. The yellow has been with me a couple years and seems to have stopped growing long before this tank. The sailfin is growing beautifully. The white tail is growing slowly, but growing.

Why is my hippo not growing? All the fish are eating and active. It wouldn’t bother me at all except that I’ve seen the other two hippos (my mom’s and quest) grow quite rapidly compared to mine. Is there something I’m missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, they are generally pretty quick growers too, so kind of weird that she isn't growing. Could be in number of things though, and to really determine which, you might need a fish vet to diagnose. But if I had to guess I would say that maybe its just a genetic deformity of some sort, sort of like dwarfism in a fish. Another possibility could be that she is not processing her nutrients from her food quite right and that has stunted her growth. Could also possibly be a internal parasite robbing her of nutrients too, although unless she is also really skinny, and not gaining weight, it would be hard to tell.
I know Neptune's QTs their fish, but do you know what meds they use in their QT process, or what their general process is for that?

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
No idea what they use for the QT process. They’d had her a couple months before I picked her up.

I suppose an internal parasite is possible, though I haven’t seen any other signs. My starry blenny has been in the tank for 6-8 months as well, and was looking very skinny the other day. He comes up and eats the nori with the tangs, so food doesn’t seem to be an issue. He’s actually gone MIA today. Perhaps he had/has one that he either got from her or passed to her? All other fish are fine though. And everyone is eating and active.

Wouldn’t mind the dwarfism - she wouldn’t need to fight for a new hiding spot when she outgrows her litte rock in the case. And she’d never outgrow the tank. Just seems odd.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Tangs always have parasites ime, and for that reason I always put tangs through a Prazi (for internal parasites) and copper treatments (for external parasites). Neptune's likely does copper treatments but you would have to ask if they do anything other then that. If you find out they haven't treated with Prazi, and you are concerned enough, then you might consider treating you tank. It is generally considered reef safe, so it can be used without taking everyone out and putting in qt tanks.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Lots going on here. Will update this evening

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Full tank shot. Been up and running for just about 2 years now.

Corals were growing well up until about a year ago. I haven’t been able to keep eyes on the tank for a variety of reasons, but it’s been chugging along.

Sorry for the blues. It was “dusk” when I was able to get the photos.

I’ve lost a couple fish, sadly. The desjardini tang was the worst. The blue tang still hasn’t grown, but the yellow and white tail look to be fine.

It’s funny what corals have grown and which have died. Most of the acros died when the CaRx had issues. Which is sad because several of them were gorgeous and growing.

But the yellow milli has grown like crazy and looks fantastic! So there’s that.

Montis are hanging on. They had grown a bunch, but aren’t looking too great these days. I still have hope.

Sump compartment for fun. It’ll get better, I promise.

Tank is due for a cross-town move within the next couple of months. So that’s the next big project. Fun!

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Moving?! It's always a lot of work but also good opportunity to make changes with tank. Keep us posted on your plans and if you need help.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Tell us more about what you are going to do?? Fish, coral, lighting, major element replenishing, flow? Are you using a controller?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Cause we need another hobby….

But we plan to give a lot of it away at the DBTC meeting in February!

If it lasts till then!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Started a rebuild thread too.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado