WaterBox 220.6 The 2023 Rebuild

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Ordered FL live rock that arrived today.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

And this little guy who was kinda still moving.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
IMG_8878.JPG IMG_8879.JPG
Mangroves in the house!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Got the CaRX online today. Think we’re going to use an extra DOS to supply it but for now we’re just using the supply pump and pinch valve that it came with.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

Found a live rock hitchhiker! Anyone have a mantis trap?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Cut the top off of a coke bottle, invert it, put a tasty treat in there and prop the top up on the rocks for easy access.

Go and find the parts for a species tank now. You know that you are gonna want to keep it.
Likely what we’ll do. He’s bigger than we thought though.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
How do you like that reefbreeders light on your fuge tank? Just ordered one for my main display tank.
They’re solid lights, but they’re a pain to program. And they sometimes lose the program, but you can use one remote for multiple lights. Just make sure you keep the remotes from lights without a program away.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Right on. I think the newer version has an app instead of the remote so maybe it's easier now. I'll see how it goes.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So we’ve started adding fish back to the tank post fallow period. We’ve put a lot of trust and money in at Neptune’s QT process too. Our sole survivor Desi the Desjardini went back in and has continued to thrive despite being super skinny since day one.
We’ve since added these guys:
Lil Blue-regal blue tang
Cori-yellow coris wrasse
Leo-leopard wrasse
Jamie Jr.-magnificent foxface
Pierce Jr.-powder blue tang

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
In copper are two Clarkii clowns yet to be named and rainbow dinosaur junior junior or rainbow dinosaur III 6 line wrasse.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
And I know the leopard wrasse is a female but Leo was an easy name and she’ll be male eventually.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am not trying to hate, but I doubt that those wrasses were QT'd perfectly for full disease eradication or else they likely would not be alive. They could be totally OK and likely got some level of treatment and I certainly do not do true QT on my fish, but it might be a good idea for you all to have at least a 10g tank with a power filter and some copper and prazi on hand if you need it. I doubt that anybody will do a true Jay Hemdal type of multiple round QT with copper PROPERLY, a few rounds of prazi and even formalin if Brook is an issue (damsels & clowns). Even fish that were exposed but not infected too bad to develop short term immunity which usually does the trick and even a bad QT can take care of small infections.

Dr. Reef and the other super loud pre-QT places have taken a lot of flack lately for letting diseases get through, so probably the only way to do it is to do it yourself... or at least be prepared to intervene if you have to. I am not saying that a true full-QT is necessary (I don't do it), just don't trust them TOO much... if that makes sense.

I am not trying to be a buzz kill - I hope that you do not think that. :(

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Appreciate the feedback. We do actually have a QT setup currently running, with two clowns and a 6 line in copper.

We can’t truly protect from everything, so we’re doing the multi-prong (or what I call the carpet-bomb) approach. We got the Florida live rock like you recommended, and we’re only adding fish we’ve quarantined through copper or TTM ourselves, or are coming from a trusted quarantine source (Neptunes included).

Can’t truly protect from everything.

But Pierce the second (the powder blue) still isn’t showing any crypt. So I think we’re gonna call it a success so far. Since we lost literally all our fish (other than desi) to some sort of crypt/velvet?/cancer disease and had to do fallow for so long, we’re hopeful that this is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk