Kchristensen8064's Build-off competition entry.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I started completely dry so I expect it to take a while. Hoping it times out for when we get back from vacation. Getting the itch though since the other guys are already putting life in theirs. LOL

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Does anyone think it would cause me any problems if I add them all at once?

1. Firefish
2. Royal Gramma
3. Yellow Watchman Goby

I'll do a clean up crew of hermits and snails and I think I'll do a scarlet cleaner shrimp.
I’d be pretty hesitant to add them all at once. That’s not a ton of fish, but the tank isn’t established yet. If you do add them all at once, I would plan on frequent water changes for the first few weeks. Just my two cents.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’d be pretty hesitant to add them all at once. That’s not a ton of fish, but the tank isn’t established yet. If you do add them all at once, I would plan on frequent water changes for the first few weeks. Just my two cents.
That was my thoughts as well. Do you think somewhat heavy ghost feedings would help get things a little closer to being able to handle it?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That was my thoughts as well. Do you think somewhat heavy ghost feedings would help get things a little closer to being able to handle it?
You got a pretty strong cycle going already, i dont think it would help much to feed it. That like would just prolong it

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay cool. I figured as much. I liked the convenience of getting them all from the same place and they had them dirt cheap but I will just have to try to find them all locally. Where's the best LFS's in your opinion? The ones up north don't thrill me.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm really digging the tank shelf.
Are you doing a qt process with you livestock or buying from someone who does?
I think AA is considered the best LFS, but not exactly local. Have you priced out livestock from sponsors?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app
I have one up here that is very local to me, but difficult to get in touch with. I'm putting feelers out with others to see if I can get them from one of them.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking really good! I love what you did with the stand and the shelf. Very nice. Hopefully you can track down that livestock locally. I would think there would be much less risk than mail ordering.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, since we're supposed to update at least every 2 weeks I'll throw one out there. The tank has finished cycling. I'm down in New Orleans and won't be back until the 18th. So there really isn't much to update. I'll do a round of water tests when I get home and plan on adding my first fish and coral.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So there is not much to update. I'm still on vacation and haven't seen the tank in 2 weeks. I get back home on Tuesday and will post another update later in the week. If everything is well I plan on adding my first fish and coral by this weekend.

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
So there is not much to update. I'm still on vacation and haven't seen the tank in 2 weeks. I get back home on Tuesday and will post another update later in the week. If everything is well I plan on adding my first fish and coral by this weekend.
do you have an auto feeder to keep the live rock "fed?"

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright, back from vacation. Tank is looking great. Has some algea growing and is definitely in one of its ugly stages. Cycle is done and probably has been for a couple of weeks. This weekend I plan on doing a 10 gallon water change, and clean out the skimmer. It's getting some really good dark gunk. I'm going to add my first fish which will be a firefish and some clean up crew.

Last edited by a moderator:

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Added my first fish and corals today. I updated my price sheet at the top of the thread and will post pictures later today or tomorrow. I also ordered a clean up crew from Reef Cleaners that will be here mid week next week.