Kchristensen8064's Build-off competition entry.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
A little update... The fire fish is all settled in, eating and doing well. All the corals are looking great and open. I added the clean up crew yesterday and they have made a big dent in the algae that was growing. I changed my light schedule due to some research on MH. I was running it for about 6 hours a day and the algae was growing very quickly. I dialed it back to 4 hours a day for now and will observe how the corals respond. I run the blues 12 hours a day.

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Maybe I am missing something, but why put your CuC in so much later than your fish? Just the fact that a fire fish doesn't produce much of a bioload?

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe I am missing something, but why put your CuC in so much later than your fish? Just the fact that a fire fish doesn't produce much of a bioload?
I ordered the clean up crew from Reef Cleaners the same day I got the fish (local), which was right after we got back from vacation, so timing was a big part of that decision. The CUC is fairly large since I got one of their packages, and the bioload from the fire fish is small. Since we're on a budget I felt this was the best way to go, since my local LFS's are pricy when it comes to snails and hermits. I feed a little heavy to keep food in the tank for everything. I'll be adding my second fish in the next week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have not even added any CUC to mine, except for an urchin. They can starve without enough film and it is probably better to wait like above. We don't have enough cash to rebuy stuff if we kill all of the snails and stuff. Fortunately, if you order them direct from Florida, they are not expensive.

That light has a nice color. Well done.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
My family and I decided to make the rounds today and hit up Neptune's, Aquatic Art, and Aquamart. Didn't buy any new corals but finally got to see Aquatic Art so that was cool. I did however pick up the rest of the livestock for my build off. I got a Royal Gramma from Neptune's for $26 and I was looking for a Yellow Watchman Goby for the third. Aquatic Art had one for $9 and it was paired up with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp so I decided to not break them up and brought them both home for $29. I'll update my pricing sheet to reflect these. Here's some pictures while still floating after getting home. View attachment 15073 View attachment 15074

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the firefish was instantly evicted from its hole when the tiger pistol was added. The shrimp, goby pair have settled themselves in nicely to the firefish's home. Fortunately there was plenty of new places for the firefish and it's made a new home. I've seen the royal once since adding it so hopefully it settles in soon.

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
So not much to update. Tank is still running. All the corals with the exception of the sea fan are doing great. I had a lot of die off on the sea fan and don't know if it will recover. All 3 fish are doing great, but I did loose the pistol shrimp. Don't know what happened it just died overnight one night. View attachment 15244

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Things have been really busy and I haven't had much time for anything. I've neglected my tanks recently but I'm happy to report that everything is doing great. I am going to try to get a big water change in this week sometime. It's way overdue. All 3 fish are doing well and corals are growing. I added a couple small frags from my other tank and will update the price sheet when I have a second. View attachment 15529

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did a 15 gallon water change today. Cleaned out the skimmer. Wiped everything down. Hopefully I can get back on a schedule with water changes and some of the uglies will get better. My corals are growing, but I'm sure will start to grow a little better once I'm back on a schedule, since I will be replenishing calcium, magnesium and all that good stuff. View attachment 15550

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay so update time. I have been battling bad Cyano, coral and fish are all okay but the Cyano is a little out of control. In order for me to do what I need to do I'm unfortunately going to go over budget. I will update the budget sheet soon. But the plan is put a reactor with gfo on. I am going this route because it's what worked on my main tank and that one has been going great since I did. So unfortunately, I am going to need to bow out, due to my budget. Good luck to the rest of you. All of your tanks are looking great!

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
In order for me to do what I need to do I'm unfortunately going to go over budget. I will update the budget sheet soon. But the plan is put a reactor with gfo on. I am going this route because it's what worked on my main tank and that one has been going great since I did. So unfortunately, I am going to need to bow out, due to my budget. Good luck to the rest of you. All of your tanks are looking great!
I tell my wife I am "under budget" all the time.... in this hobby we all know the "B" word is more of a guide line than a rule! hahaha

my $0.02, is keep with it, all of the competitors have "guessed some prices" or used exiting equipment at a cost that would not be available to someone off the street and probably blow the budget. I have learned a lot from all of these, keep it up!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay so update time. I have been battling bad Cyano, coral and fish are all okay but the Cyano is a little out of control. In order for me to do what I need to do I'm unfortunately going to go over budget. I will update the budget sheet soon. But the plan is put a reactor with gfo on. I am going this route because it's what worked on my main tank and that one has been going great since I did. So unfortunately, I am going to need to bow out, due to my budget. Good luck to the rest of you. All of your tanks are looking great!
Please keep updating. This is the reality of a reef tank. There are always unexpected costs.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's a new tank I would ride out the cyano it will pass in time.
If you must add reactor start looking on craigslist or asking around. I know myself as well as other readers have reactors laying around. I would offer one that I bought for cheap but it's for large volume aquarium.

Have you turned lights off for couple days with a couple large water changes.

Have you changed your flow pattern.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a reactor laying around and I threw it on there. I paid $25 for it. But that plus the rowaphos and the corals that I still haven't updated in price sheet with, will easily push me over. I spent more on the build itself than I had planned so I knew that it was going to be tight. I will definitely keep updating, but life has been a little crazy lately recently too so I have been struggling to find time to even just get on here.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I say keep the total running, even if you are at $1050 or $1200 or whatever. I think part of the point is to show a potential reefer out there that sometimes a budget is a nice thing in principle.....but reality might have a say in it too. You might not be in it for the grand prize or anything, but you could be in it to teach a valuable lesson (sometimes reefing can get expensive). Good luck! Come get some gsp tonight!