Looking for a New Light

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello,

I’ve taken a break from the hobby for a few years to build a home and other things. I just recently had a custom stand built for a 2” x2” 60 gallon and I’m looking for a compact LED which I can build into a custom made lamp like stand. I would really like to look at lights in person to see the actual colors and spread. Any suggestions? I’m in Cheyenne, Wy. and don’t mind a drive for a great retailer.

Thank you,
Matt

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How compact?

Got a drawing or something?

What kind of corals do you want to keep?

I use a radion xr30 gen 4 on my cube and it has a good spread. A single Radion XR15 Gen6 is pretty compact and would give you pretty good par and spread cranked all the way up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
luckily 2'x2'x2' is the standard metric for most of the high quality light review videos so you will know about what PAR to expect per light.
Youtube the lights you want and you can see some pretty good videos with quantitative data. (Example BRS XR15 video)
View attachment 20984

IMHO the biggest thing to decide first is whether you want the Kessil shimmer or not. this is a great video to showcase the difference side by side.

If you choose not to go the Kessil route, you cant really go wrong with the other leading brands. Each light manufacture has a little gimmick to make it "better" than the next guy.
I just went through a light upgrade and over researched per usual. I went away from Radion and went with the Apex Sky for 2 reasons. Found a great deal on the Skys and they have a wider spread (and form factor) than the Radions.

All of these "cluster" LED lights have so many settings that can be customized that seeing them in person might not be worth the drive. If you do get to see some in person jsut make sure you know what setting they were on so you are comparing apples to apples.

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello,

Thank you for the comments. A lot of good information. To follow up with some questions first: my wife and I would like a very compact light, but I don’t want to sacrifice quality, and I know this isn’t a good answer. Our thought is to have a light stand and shade similar to a reading lamp similar to match our bar lights ( single bulb pendant), which we know a custom fabricator to do. After watching the video the Kassil looks like good fit, but I’m open to further comments. I believe my dad has some older ones which he has issues with color control, so does anyone know if they have had updates over the years ( if so what? I know this is a stupid question)?

I’m interested in if any one is running them now and hear how self automated they are. I understand the time which is required for this hobby, but I work in health care and it would be best if they are easy to control. Also, if any knows of a dealer in the Denver area I’d loaves to check them out.

I can send pictures on the build to date if it will help. We just finished the rest of our basement, so I didn’t do this sooner because of all the dust.

Thanks again,
Matt

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The newer kessils have control for violet red and green too. The color issue your dad spoke of is probably with the original tuna blue models that only had blue and white.

Sent from my SM-G986U using MASC mobile app

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I can send pictures on the build to date if it will help. We just finished the rest of our basement, so I didn’t do this sooner because of all the dust.
Start a build thread!!!

Sounds like you need the Kessil 500x Tuna blue. Compact, easily covers the 2' x 2' x 2', can program it to be automated (cant remember if you need the controller on this newer model or not)
here is an EXTREMELY comprehensive video that should answer any questions you have about if this is the light for you! (26 minute mark they discuss spectrum)

the Apex Sky is NOT compact haha

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you all for the information. I’ve been a bit busy lately, so I’ve been slow to respond. I’ll review these video and lights and will get back to the thread. Is there any shop you all know of carry the new Kessil I could visit and see it in action?

I can start a build thread, but it will be slow progress. I’ll have more time to dedicate in the near future, but I do need some custom work done.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What are you going to keep? It matters. If you want a mixed reef, then this is not a huge deal and nearly all lights can get this done where every owner will tell you that what they use is the best ever. If you want to focus on trickier corals, acropora and other harder things, then not all LEDs get this done at the same level.

Always best to first ask what types of corals are being kept.