Nicky J's Reefer 250

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
my first thought is maybe a small mesh screen over that part of the overflow? just would want to regularly clean it out i guess.
I feel the mesh fine enough to stop the tentacles from getting sucked in would constantly need cleaning or look "dirty."
But I agree block that part of the overflow weir. If it is anything like my nems it wont care about anything you do movement/flow/lighting wise

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Lol, that nem is just determined to do what ever it wants. Looks great though

Still getting the hang of dosing All for Reef. Felt like my Alk was always a constant 7 as I ratcheted up my dosage from 10 to 25 ml/day since Dec then I got lazy about testing and killed a couple sps frags before I noticed it was 10+
Got the tank back the 8 range after a water change and a few days of patience and turned the doser back on and gonna be testing daily.

While some frags bleached and died others had a growth spurt - my Digis in particular seemed to like the higher levels. I know some people run their tanks in that range with success. Definitely a bit puzzled where I messed up ... I thought calcium formate could only slowly raise things but it makes sense you can overdose like any other supplement.

Been a bit of a struggle recently but want to document the bad with the good.
Major cyano outbreak in May and then right when I thought I had waited it out my anemone walked into the powerhead. Ended up losing my Kole tang and nem. At this point the cyano came back strong.
Changed my RODI filters last week and am siphoning out what I can during weekly water changes.

I've been trying to avoid chemiclean and go the natural wait it out route but am now considering it. What are people's thoughts?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sorry to hear that. Darn nem!
For the cyano, have you tried adding more flow? Sometimes that all is needs is some more flow to keep it from settling

Sorry to hear that. Darn nem!
For the cyano, have you tried adding more flow? Sometimes that all is needs is some more flow to keep it from settling
It seems to do just fine in my highest flow areas but I think I will try more flow anyway as I have seen that advice repeatedly and my corals will like it too.
I think the bearing is going on my current MP40 maybe I will swap in 2 nero 5s or something when it dies.