The ABYSS (fireheadman tank)

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I love my Apex. FYI, you can access it via web, headunit, phone etc. I like the apex came with network functions built in, didn't have to buy the net module. If you need any help programming, let me know. No means a pro, but I have it running my tunzes with 3 different profiles (day, night, flush).

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;239206 said:
I love my Apex. FYI, you can access it via web, headunit, phone etc. I like the apex came with network functions built in, didn't have to buy the net module. If you need any help programming, let me know. No means a pro, but I have it running my tunzes with 3 different profiles (day, night, flush).

Yeah, I think I do need some help on the programming if you dont mind.
I have to order the tunze cable this week so I can get into the waves and whatnot...
I seem to have an issue with my feed schedules... the skimmer wont shut off when I select FeedA,

What I am after...
GO INTO FEEDA mode, the sump turns off, skimmer turns off and circulation pumps for to 30% flow.
GO INTO MAINT mode via virtual outlet labelled "Maint", then everything except lights shutoff.
If you see something that doesn't appear correct, let me know, I got this code from the web that someone else was using....

[SKIMMER]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Outlet Sump = OFF Then OFF
Min Time 002:00 Then OFF
If FeedA 005 Then OFF
If FeedB 005 Then OFF
If FeedC 005 Then OFF
If FeedD 005 Then OFF
If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF
If Outlet Maint = OFF Then ON

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Found the issue... was the line

If Outlet Maint = OFF Then ON..... removed it and now it works.
Just not sure if I like the sump being off during feeding time

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Try this, its what I have for my Tunzes:
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

I think with the 005 you are putting a delay in for when to turn the skimmer off, it might be turning it off 5 mintues after Feed a, is pushed. Try the way mine is and let me know.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
so I looked it up in the manual...

If FeedA 000 Then OFF
....the "000" is the amount of time to wait after FeedA time expires, then the skimmer comes on. In my case, I am allowing the Skimmer to come on 5min after FeedA ends.
Just ran a test on it and it worked. So my bad line I posted in previous post was the culprit. I keep Maint in OFF position unless I am doing a tank clean/maint call.

Once I get my tunze cables in I will have to start figuring out all the tunze programs... I found this page, which looks to be promising:
http://www.kenargo.com/apexProgram/index.php

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
UPDATE: So a few things have been added over the past 5 weeks....
Here is a list and I will have to get the actual names of some of them (I'm still learning everything)

• Sail Fin Tang
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Hawaiian Anthias (Yellow/Pink) (x2)
  • Yellow Tang
  • Finger leather (unsure of name)
  • Toadstool leather
  • Frogspawn (x3 types)
  • Bubble coral
  • Green finger leather (unsure of type/name)
  • Red Challis
  • Green Challis
  • Red mini brain coral
  • Green star polyps
  • blue mushroom
  • green mushrooms
  • green w/ pink bubble tip anemone

The anemone has been kinda interesting to watch.... last night it picked up and moved half way across the aquarium and looks to be settled between three rocks (in a crevice)..... Now just have to get my b/w ocelaris clowns to find it.
The anemone is a tank raised, so hopefully it knows to put out a scent and hopefully the tank raised clowns know how to pick up the scent. Guess this is where the extreme patience comes into play.

I'll get some updated tank pictures soon.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tape a photo of similar clows in a nem to th tank so your clowns see it. they might learn by example. sounds crazy but ive seen poststhat say it works.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
kmellon;241276 said:
tape a photo of similar clows in a nem to th tank so your clowns see it. they might learn by example. sounds crazy but ive seen poststhat say it works.
Yeah I read that and saw in one someone's youtube channel. Oddly enough, they use the pictures as cover and seem to ignore them... I then tried taping pics of lionfish to one side of the tank as a way to scare them to the other side..... I think because they are tank raised, they are clueless... where as the tangs and anthias are terrified. So I took them down (the lionfish). The clowns were actually the only ones ignoring the lionfish pics.

reeftankulous;241180 said:
Sail fin and Yellow tang are getting along? How big are they?
I will get some pics of them, they are roughly about 2" long each and since they were introduced at the same time, they are swimming around the tank side by side... like two peas in a pod. They even sleep in the same area.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its been a while since I last updated.... I've been overwhelmed with my Masters degree classes.
So here are a few things new with me or at least the tank.

I have been hearing a snapping sound, almost like a pop. It will occur randomly and sometimes in a sets of two or three...
Almost sounds like a have a hitch hiker pistol shrimp hiding out. The odd thing is I have never seen it, not even a whisker! It has to be tiny to stay out of site.
When I put the Diamond Watchman Goby in the tank, he dug out the sand in the area the snapping/popping was happening, but still no pistol shrimp appearances.
I have also tried using a flashlight at night to sneak a peek, but no dice there either.

The BEST news I have is that after 2+ months of patience, my Black clowns finally figured out the Anemone. They are going crazy in it today! It is probably the most relieving and exciting thing to watch them swim in it.
I tried the pictures taped to the aquarium over a month ago, I do not think that had any effect on them....
Then I tried propping the ipad against the glass and playing an hour long documentary about Anemones.... That didn't work either, although every fish in the aquarium congregated around it. (was kinda funny).

Here's a picture of them (First day in the Anemone.)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great pics...and pretty funny about the fish hanging out watching the documentary :p

Have you tried placing some sort of red filter on the end of the flashlight? Crustaceans and nocturnal fauna won't scatter under the red light and you may have a better chance of spotting him.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
reeftankulous;241180 said:
Sail fin and Yellow tang are getting along? How big are they?
So this is long overdue.... Sorry for the delay,
Here is a video of the tank I took today, so you can see the tangs hanging out together. They are pretty much in separable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfppnGEiErU

I need to figure out how to film without the LED lights making everything purple and blue.... anyone have tips?

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
So after a day of playing with their new friend, it seems as though they have literally taken the life out of it.
I have seen my anemone deflate before when it purges, but never this bad. Hopefully it will bounce back in a couple hours....

Aside that, I noticed a sac like film next to the anemone, which is usually hidden by it. It looks almost like a spider web egg sac. So I took my chopsticks out and poked at it. Part of it scraped off the rock and now the hermits are eating it. Now sure what it was, but looked really strange.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I just noticed you saying you had a hard time getting them to host. For future endeavors you can use a plastic critter box with holes drilled to introduce them. Just put nem and clown together and in a day or two bam they are in it.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
i watched a video of that.... seemed like a good idea, but I think it would only work well if you were introducing them to a tank together.
In my case, I had the clowns for a while and believe me, they are hard to catch.

Hopefully my current anemone doesn't kill over.... else I will have to try this method on the next one.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

If you have to catch them you can use Gatorade bottle fish trap or 2 inch PVC with zip tied freezer bag. Judging by pictures I think he is ok just frustrated. I wouldn't worry to bad.