WW's sutpid awesome 60G nem cube

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I should have a decent update by tonight if all goes well. Been building an electrical panel to go inside the cabinet for all the reef keeper power strips,modules, etc.

im waiting. For the first coat of finish to dry now.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
BIg time update tonight!

I spend most of the weekend planning out my electrical setup for the controller, power strips etc. I made a panel I can mount everything to, which I can also remove if I need. It kind of serves two purposes one to give me a place to organize and hide all the cords but two as a blocker to protect the electronics from splashes, salt creep, and to keep all the electrical components up off the base of the cabinet in case water gets spilled.

Yeah haven't organized the cables yet. Thats the next phase to be completed.

The other big update,
rock, sand and water!!! Let the cycle begin. Khalis came over right after the meet and helped me with the aquascaping and all. He was a huge help and It definitely wouldn't have happened today without him.

So huge thank Khalis I really appreciate it!

I call this the Horse Head.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for inviting me over to help you with the most enjoyable part of setting up a tank...can't wait to see the scape when the water clears up.

Ryan...seeing the stand and canopy up close, I was blown away. Those laminate cut edges were top notch. I might have to pay you for lessons once I get my tools out here this spring :p

Last edited by a moderator:

pidge

Angel Fish
jahmic;280222 said:
Thanks for inviting me over to help you with the most enjoyable part of setting up a tank...can't wait to see the scape when the water clears up.

Ryan...seeing the stand and canopy up close, I was blown away. Those laminate cut edges were top notch. I might have to pay you for lessons once I get my tools out here this spring :p
Hahaha!! Thanks man!! I really appreciate it!! I am pretty anal when it comes to my work. My motto is if I can see it, it's not good enough, and after doing this for a long long time I can see a lot. So nothing is really ever good enough, lol! I am just glad I was able to do it for Kris. Seeing how clean and awesome of a job he is doing really makes all the hard work sooooo worth it!! This is gonna be an amazing set up.

pidge

Angel Fish
jahmic;280222 said:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. You don't have to pay me! Let's just get in the shop and build something!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rlklassy;280336 said:
this is gorgeous
clowninaround7474;280366 said:
Awesome stuff!!!

Thanks!

The water has cleared up nicely and I got all my cabling done! and the controller programed. It amazing how many cables I had in this thing. Without the panduit and control panel I would have had a mound of unmanageable spaghetti.

I got the second Sea Swirl in the mail yesterday so I got that plumbed in. Wow these two Sea Swirls create amazing flow in absolutely every nook and cranny in the tank. Say what you will about them being bulky and old school they certainly still have their place in this hobby!

I also got a Spectrapure ATO set up which is Awesome! Ive never used one of these ATO systems before and will probably never use another one now. Its so easy to program and has some really nice safety features built in as well as the ability to limit how much it can run in a day.

I originally had planned on having an ATO reservoir under the cabinet but ran out of room in a hurry. This ended up not being a problem because I already had a Spectrapure UHE RODI unit on hand that just needed a few replacement parts so I set it up in the laundry room just below the tank and drilled a tiny hole through the base board behind the stand and threaded a line down to a temporary 5 gallon container. I haven't finished setting up the RODI unit yet because im still waiting on the replacement parts as well as a 25 gallon reservoir I ordered from Tank Depot. It will be really nice to never have to worry about filling the reservoir though. The tank seems to be evaporating about a gallon a day right now and the return chamber in the sump is only 3.5 gallons so while I have a couple days of wiggle room though I didn't want to risk forgetting to top off the tank and running the pump dry.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks great!! I'm already jealous of something as simple as your clear water... Been 4 weeks and mine is cloudy still haha!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;280578 said:
Looks great!! I'm already jealous of something as simple as your clear water... Been 4 weeks and mine is cloudy still haha!
Thats strange it must some sort of bacteria from the shrimp you used maybe?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe, I've had the shrimp out for 2+ weeks, running carbon, skimming, and doing frequent water changes. I've never had this issue before but then again this is my first time using dry rock... I have a feeling it could be from that.

Anyway, your tank is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it progress. What kind of media reactor is that? I'm looking to add one on mine along with my Tunze Osmolator ATO that I just ordered.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pretty sure he's using a TLF150 (two little fishies) media reactor. ;)

Glad that sandstorm cleared up for you; I think the scape turned out pretty well!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah the sand storm cleared fast with that filter sock. Yes its a two little fishies. Not my preferred reactor but the size was appropriate.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You're using that reactor for carbon, correct?

Just a heads up...since I remember seeing all of those sponges in there and wondered what that was about. I plumbed my TLF reactor "backwards". That way, the flow pushes the carbon down rather than upward (which would make it tumble). Pro = less sponges to clean and you can run a good amount of flow through the reactor. Con = if you mess up and get any carbon in that center tube, it will be immediately pushed out of the reactor rather than to the bottom; to remedy that, I just tossed a media bag on the outlet of the reactor to catch any carbon that might otherwise get blown out.