1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

March contest!!! Show your scape!

Discussion in 'MASC Run Contests' started by Bajamike, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Nuvo 16

It is only a 16 gallon tank so can not really do much but here is what I did. Please ignore the fact that I don't have many corals I just got into this hobby.

Materials: I got the purple rocks in the middle from a tank I purchased (pretty sure that they are man made and dyed) no clue where they came from and the other rocks I got from Evan. He let me take more than I needed, but that gave me options when trying to fit them together into something I liked.

I wanted to have a little bit of everything: exposed sand bed, caves, and go vertical as I can with the rock work while still leaving negative space for sps to grow into.

Everything is held together by gravity and friction (not as impressive as the job gravity is doing for him)

2. reeferpueblo

reeferpueblo Copepod

Attached Files:

3. Bajamike

Bajamike Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Thats a nice little tank! no worries about corals none needed for this contest :D

Reeferpueblo: I like the little valley that is cool, great job! could you tell us a little bit about the way you did it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  4. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Mike you might want to spell check that cause that came out a little dirty.

5. Bajamike

Lol thats spell checked (auto correct) on my phone....lol thank you iPhone lol

6. ReeferMatt

ReeferMatt Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Hahaha, gotta love auto correct!

7. FinsUp

FinsUp According to my watch, the time is now. M.A.S.C Club Member

:rofl: :silentbob:

8. jahmic

jahmic Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

haha I saw that this morning before work and was laughing to hard to even attempt to call you out on it. :p

9. Vance

Vance Amphipod

Here's mine. Was set up to be view from the side not the front... and tried to avoid the stereotypical "rock pile" look so common with cubes. Rock is all stacked on a pvc frame from the return, no glue or anchors all gravity. Really like the openness it leaves behind the rock as there is just enough rock to hide the pvc from view, and made stacking rock high in such a small footprint a lot easier. And the fish love all the caves and ledges it creates, many caves where you can see all the way through to the other side of the tank from all angles.
    Front: View attachment 12240
    Side View attachment 12241 View attachment 12244
    Frame and biggest rock View attachment 12239
    Behind big rock View attachment 12242
    Large cave on viewing side View attachment 12243

10. ReeferMatt

I really like that scape, great looking cube!

11. Vance

Vance Amphipod

Thanks Matt really like yours as well, great use of the flat rocks to make that honeycomb of caves and shelves. Wish I had the space for a tank that size, how many gallons is that?

12. Bajamike

I really like this scape very creative!

13. reeferpueblo

reeferpueblo Copepod

Reeferpueblo: I like the little valley that is cool, great job! could you tell us a little bit about the way you did it.[/QUOTE]
    just used some epoxy used as many od shaped rocks 2 make lots of caves and holes so there is good water movement

14. ReeferMatt

It's a 90 tall... and it's really tall!

15. Denver aquarist

Denver aquarist Copepod

[attachment=63977:name]

Attached Files:

16. djkms

djkms Shark Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Ok, I want to play :)

2 Islands with no rock touching any glass and lots of swimming room!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ReeferMatt

Beautiful tanks!!!

18. Saltysailor

Saltysailor Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots

Well I just completed my scape today in my 200g DD. I used approximately 160lbs of Marco rock. I wanted a canyon type scape with open swim areas and plenty of places to put all of the corals. This will be a true mixed reef tank leaning towards SPS.

My buddy and I did this in a few hours without using any mortar, rods, PVC, etc. Everything is stable without those things.

Without further ado...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. reeferpueblo

reeferpueblo Copepod

djkms wow nice tank but better be since your a professional absolutely gorges djkms

20. djkms

djkms Shark Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Thanks for the compliment :)

I just consider myself a hobbyist who happens to be lucky enough to also work in the industry for a great company!