TOG's new 240 build with DIY LED's and Controller

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agreed. My LEDs will be ~8" off the surface though so I'm pondering not using any. I went ahead and ordered a dozen 80 degree optics to play with. The original plan was to put optics on all of the RB's, none on the blues, and none on the whites.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would highly suggest putting optics on them, they make a huge difference. I have no doubt that if I took them off, the PAR would be half if not less than half of what it is.

80 seems to be the standard. I added the 60's around the edge because half of the light would be wasted as it would fall outside the tank.

68RUSTANG

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Derek,

Nice job, you inspire me to get going on my LED project.

Hopefully I can get the motor back into the '69 Cougar this weekend.

Then the LED build is on!

Thanks for sharing,

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So it has been a while since I have updated this.

I plumbed a 2x2 frag tank into one of the return lines in the basement and put in 3x Koralina 425 nano's in it. It's growing some algae and I need to order some snails for it.

Now that I cleaned off the massive growth of Coraline algae I have taken a few shots.

[attachment=61523:name]

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I finally sat down today and finished most of the canopy. The cooling fans are finally installed so I can turn the blues up more than 45% and the whites above 20%.

Just need to paint and hand the drywall up now.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nice Derek looks good man, looking forward to seeing that bad boy wrapped up on the outside!!!!!

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got the parts in for my ATO. Did the programing for the APEX last night and finished building the hangers for the float switches just now.

The one on the right is Sump_high, which is basically a safety one in case the other one gets stuck and the ATO adds too much water.
The one on the left is the main switch, when it drops it triggers the ATO pump which is a Aqua Lifter which does about 5 gallons an hour. The tank evaporates about 5 gallons a day.

I have 2 right now, but i am thinking of getting a 3rd one. For a safety of Sump_Really_Low, so basically if the main one gets stuck up and never triggers the pump, if the third one drops it would force the pump on.

The Aqua Lifter pumps from a 45 gallon brute trash can that I keep full of RO/DI water. Enough to last about 10 days.

Going on vacation in the middle of June, so this will give me enough time play around and make sure everything is working before than.