WaterBox 220.6 The 2023 Rebuild

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
That 120 looks so small on that stand. So why not just set up the 560 there in the garage? If it leaks a little who cares; it’s in the garage.
Haha! What’s funny is I don’t for a second doubt you’re being serious.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I almost set that tank up in my garage for African Cichlids. I have an insulated and heated garage, so I was close. Just run some Weld-On over the leak and the rest of the seams and fire it up... should be Ok in a garage. :)

Of course, I did get rid of it... so that says something.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
As much as having a remote tank larger than our DT in the garage sounds intriguing that tank has given me enough headaches that I’m just going to go with the 120 as planned. Plus I’ve lifted that beast enough to know I’m done lifting it.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
As much as having a remote tank larger than our DT in the garage sounds intriguing that tank has given me enough headaches that I’m just going to go with the 120 as planned. Plus I’ve lifted that beast enough to know I’m done lifting it.

I wish that beast would fit down my stairs. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I almost set that tank up in my garage for African Cichlids. I have an insulated and heated garage, so I was close. Just run some Weld-On over the leak and the rest of the seams and fire it up... should be Ok in a garage. :)

Of course, I did get rid of it... so that says something.
It comes full circle.

I wish that beast would fit down my stairs. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Time to fire up the excavator.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Death tank strikes again. I think we’re cursed. Starting to think it’s time to pull all the fish that are left put them in QT and sit fallow. Or just give up on having fish.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Unfortunately several.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
We need to get some medicated food and try to knock this out. We’re just so frustrated.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The fish that we introduced last weekend came from the 560.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sorry to hear that, but ya would be a good idea to put all remaining fish in QT and treat them while you let the tank sit fallow for 2 months or so

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are never going to QT all fish, inverts, corals, etc. then get a small pack of live rock from Florida and let it spread the worms, pods, starfish, etc. all over the tank. This diversity can help some fish diseases as they fall off of fish for that part of the lifecycle - the tomonts/tomates will get eaten by many things and/or fail to develop if they land on surface bacteria or algae. This is not eradication, but it helps a lot and is why tanks of the past, before dead/dry phase of the hobby, usually had very little disease after 6-9 months once the fauna spread all over the sand - you remember... the waiting for the tank to mature before buying an expensive fish paradigm?

You can get the live rock and have the diverse fauna while you let the tank sit fallow, or have the fish recover somewhere else.

Wet rock from captivity can, or might not, have that same type of fauna. No way to know without really looking at it. If you don't see tons of mini brittle starfish, pods, lots of different types of worms like spaghetti, bristle, etc. then you might need some fresh rock to seed.

If you do have the tank sit fallow, consider dosing ammonium to get the most biologically available source of nitrogen to your corals. Feeding shrimp and crabs can help too. No corals want to get nitrogen from nitrate. Not all corals can even use nitrate, but those that do convert it back to ammonia/ammonium at a cost of 30-70% more energy needed (nobody knows for sure).

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
If you are never going to QT all fish, inverts, corals, etc. then get a small pack of live rock from Florida and let it spread the worms, pods, starfish, etc. all over the tank. This diversity can help some fish diseases as they fall off of fish for that part of the lifecycle - the tomonts/tomates will get eaten by many things and/or fail to develop if they land on surface bacteria or algae. This is not eradication, but it helps a lot and is why tanks of the past, before dead/dry phase of the hobby, usually had very little disease after 6-9 months once the fauna spread all over the sand - you remember... the waiting for the tank to mature before buying an expensive fish paradigm?

You can get the live rock and have the diverse fauna while you let the tank sit fallow, or have the fish recover somewhere else.

Wet rock from captivity can, or might not, have that same type of fauna. No way to know without really looking at it. If you don't see tons of mini brittle starfish, pods, lots of different types of worms like spaghetti, bristle, etc. then you might need some fresh rock to seed.

If you do have the tank sit fallow, consider dosing ammonium to get the most biologically available source of nitrogen to your corals. Feeding shrimp and crabs can help too. No corals want to get nitrogen from nitrate. Not all corals can even use nitrate, but those that do convert it back to ammonia/ammonium at a cost of 30-70% more energy needed (nobody knows for sure).
We’re going to pull the last two when we have the time and get the garage fuge up and running. We’re going to order a case and use most of it out there with some rubble pieces in the back of the DT.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Going fallow for 90.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Desjardini was the sole survivor and the bubble trap worked this morning. She is now in QT in copper. Likely get a slew of fish to QT Novemberish.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Also going to plumb in the 120 garage fuge tomorrow or Monday and order some live rock from FL and some mangroves.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

Remote fuge is online. I knew it wasn’t going to be level but it works. It’s very slow flow and gravity fed back to the DT. We’re planning to order some FL live rock that will live in the DT for a couple of weeks and then come out here. Also going to order some mangroves to get growing out here too.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Here’s just how slow it’s being fed.