RedSea 750 XXL build

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a quick note to add; the code only requires a floor to be able to support 40 lbs./sq’ (100 lbs./sq’ for commercial) and a concentrated load of 300 lbs. on a 2”x2” square.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I found some information online about calculating maximum 'dead' load on a floor. It involves knowing the material, grade, and span of the joists. I think you could do some rough math to make sure you are within the limits.
https://www.hunker.com/13400811/how-to-calculate-floor-load-capacity
Thanks! I did some math and some research. Based of what I currently have, it could most likely handle the weight but for how long is the big question. Since I intend on having the tank there for many years, I feel it would probably be best if I sistered the joints at the very least.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks! I did some math and some research. Based of what I currently have, it could most likely handle the weight but for how long is the big question. Since I intend on having the tank there for many years, I feel it would probably be best if I sistered the joints at the very least.
Couldn’t hurt and not too expensive for an insurance policy.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would add one more floor jack. If you are super worried add 2 floor jack with a 2x8 running along the joist. For what it is worth a had a 220 on second floor of and apartment I think you will be ok.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like a good idea. I did a little bit of research when I was putting in a 55 gallon. Probably sounds silly for a 55 gallon, but I couldn't feel totally at ease until I looked at the numbers. And the placement was parallel to the joints.
Congrats on the new tank! I'll be following along.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would add one more floor jack. If you are super worried add 2 floor jack with a 2x8 running along the joist. For what it is worth a had a 220 on second floor of and apartment I think you will be ok.

Thanks for the advice Andrew. This is something I had been considering as well. After much thought, it seems like it would be the best option, it is easier to install and would provide way more support than I would need. It is also a very cheap way of providing peace of mind.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the advice Andrew. This is something I had been considering as well. After much thought, it seems like it would be the best option, it is easier to install and would provide way more support than I would need. It is also a very cheap way of providing peace of mind.
And it already be in place for when you do something stupid like buy a 390 gallon aquarium.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not an engineer nor in construction. Just thinking out loud here. I think the jack post may need to be anchored to a concrete pier under the slab due to expanding soil/clay here in CO. If that is the case, you may want to look at sistering additional joists to get the added support you are looking for without needing to break up your basement slab. If anyone here is an expert in this area, I'd love to hear ideas from a professional. This kind of stuff interests me.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not an engineer nor in construction. Just thinking out loud here. I think the jack post may need to be anchored to a concrete pier under the slab due to expanding soil/clay here in CO. If that is the case, you may want to look at sistering additional joists to get the added support you are looking for without needing to break up your basement slab. If anyone here is an expert in this area, I'd love to hear ideas from a professional. This kind of stuff interests me.
Hey Neil,

I have been cautioned about the slab. From what I’ve been told, it should be fine to hold the weight without breaking the slab but I have someone coming by to take a closer look soon. As for the sistering of the joists, I am still considering that as an option. The hard part is, I would have to move the back of the air intake for the HVAC system and pull some electrical out that is currently running through the joists. It would be a lot more work than doing the jacks.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Neil,

I have been cautioned about the slab. From what I’ve been told, it should be fine to hold the weight without breaking the slab but I have someone coming by to take a closer look soon. As for the sistering of the joists, I am still considering that as an option. The hard part is, I would have to move the back of the air intake for the HVAC system and pull some electrical out that is currently running through the joists. It would be a lot more work than doing the jacks.
That makes sense to go with the floor jack instead of messing with HVAC or electrical. I was thinking in terms of the slab potentially rising due to expanding clay and then pushing up the floor jack and the floor joists causing structural damage, but maybe it is more likely that the slab would crack under that kind of pressure.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
That makes sense to go with the floor jack instead of messing with HVAC or electrical. I was thinking in terms of the slab potentially rising due to expanding clay and then pushing up the floor jack and the floor joists causing structural damage, but maybe it is more likely that the slab would crack under that kind of pressure.
Yeah, you are right, the cement slab would fail first. The way I see it, the steel i-beam I have is supporting the house and am sure is in a footer. The two jack posts I got are rated for about 9,900 lbs each when fully extended. The load I will be helping to support would be some of the floor and a lot of the tank. Tank is 6x2

I will be adding the jack posts 3’ from the support beam and it will be 6’ apart from each other. Between the posts, running perpendicular to the joists, I will place an 8’ 4x4. Once I have tension on the jacks, I will lift the floor about 1/16”. That ought to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the meantime, I also have this going on...

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any of this in room where tank is going. Or is this hunny you bought a fish tank do this.

This is a different room. Honey do list. We moved in here on the 19th of April and have been doing a lot of painting and such.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did get the stand put together and tank on it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thats a pretty tank. Will look great once you get it all setup and transfered

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay, got the carpet all pulled out of the 3 small bedrooms. We have about 353 sqft of flooring to do this weekend. Now I can see about ordering some parts for the tank!